Federal Employees News Digest
Federal Benefits Q&A
- By FEND Staff
- November 19, 2012
Question: “My spouse is a DoD civilian employee. She works 32 hours per week, so the federal share of Federal Employee Health Benefits is 80 percent of what it is for full-timers. After retirement, will the premium split remain the same? If so, how long would she have to work a full-time prior to retirement to receive full federal contribution toward FEHB?”
Answer: Assuming that your spouse has been a participant in the FEHB program during at least all of the last five years preceding her retirement date (even if she is paying more because of her part-time hours), she will be eligible to keep the FEHB insurance during her retirement. During retirement, she will pay the same percentage of the total FEHB insurance premiums as those employees who worked full-time preceding their retirement—on average, 28 percent of the total FEHB premium, with the government paying the remaining 72 percent of the premium.