Federal Daily News
Army to proceed with civilian cuts
The Army announced on Dec. 8 that it would move ahead with previously announced plans to cut the size of its civilian workforce by nearly 9,000 positions.
The Army this summer announced the cutback of about 8,700 positions by Sept. 30, 2012, in response to decreased funding levels in the administration’s fiscal 2012 budget. The Army this week that the move would affect 70 locations in 37 states, with most cuts occurring in states with the largest Army presence.
While the reductions impact eight commands and agencies, the department said 90 percent would be at three Army commands: The Installation Management Command, Army Materiel Command, and Training and Doctrine Command.
“Army commands and agencies are continuing to take necessary actions to reduce their civilian on-board strength to meet funded targets established by the secretary of defense and reflected in the president’s budget,” said Thomas R. Lamont, assistant secretary of the Army for manpower and reserve affairs. “To the maximum extent possible, the Army will rely on voluntary departures to achieve these manpower reductions.”
The Army said that it may use a voluntary early retirement authority and voluntary separation incentive payments to implement the reductions.